19 Oct What Should You Expect On Moving Day? | A Few Pointers From Air Van
The day is finally here – you have packed up your possessions, carefully labelled the boxes, and you’re ready to embark upon your move to a new home. But no matter how much preparation you’ve done, there will always be something that doesn’t go exactly as planned! However, having a solid understanding of the process will help you get prepared.
If you’ve never moved before, you might not know what to expect on this big day. You might be wondering, “When will the movers show up,” “How will they pack my items?” and “What documents will I have to sign?”
We’ve got you covered. In this article, we answer these questions and more. Here is a 7-step outline of what will take place before and during your moving day.
So What Actually Happens During The Move?
- Your moving company will notify you of their arrival time – The moving company you have chosen should alert you about their arrival time at least a few weeks in advance. There should be no surprises as to when the crew will turn up at your home. The driver is usually the supervisor of the crew, and will be your first point of contact if you have any questions or concerns.
- The moving company will compile a written inventory – This written inventory ensure that your belongings arrive at the new address in the same condition they left your old address. The shape of each item will be assessed and given a number – be sure you look over this inventory so you can be sure you agree with what is written.
- Packers will group your items – If you are using the services of packers, they will quickly begin to move your items around and group them into categories, using different boxes. These boxes include specialty cartons for clothes, dishes, and other delicate items.
- The movers will plan the order they will move boxes – The movers will start to determine the order they will move and load your boxes and furniture. Be sure to keep an eye on which items are entering the truck, and keep your most valuable items with you in your own vehicle. These include heirlooms, family pictures, passports, and costly gadgets.
- The movers have a technique for loading furniture – Each item of furniture will be pad-wrapped and strategically placed in the truck to ensure each item fits.
- The movers will pack your items tightly so they don’t break – In order to keep your items from shifting around and breaking, the movers will pack them tightly into the van. Don’t be concerned if your items seem disorganised or out of place – you will have the opportunity to tell the moving crew where you want each item in your new home.
- The movers will present you with a bill of lading – The bill of lading outlines the moving estimate along with your estimated delivery date. Be sure to look this document over carefully before signing it, to ensure that you agree to everything contained within.
What Happens On Delivery Day?
Now that you know what to expect on moving day, what can you expect on delivery day?
First, the driver will hand you the inventory sheets, and as each box is moved into the house, the crew will call off the box numbers so that you can check them off the list. Once each of the items has been moved into your new home, you will be asked to sign the inventory sheets. Be sure to review everything carefully before signing.
If any items are missing or damaged or you suffer any property or auto damage, you should note this on the inventory sheets. You should also notify the moving company as soon as possible.
After delivery, it’s time to unpack. If you have requested and paid for unpacking services, it will be done by the driver the day of unloading, or the day after. Each box will be unpacked, and the items set up in the rooms you previously requested them.
If you choose to unpack the boxes yourself, be sure to request debris pick up from your moving agent. This will ensure that all of your crushed boxes are picked up and disposed of correctly.
Now you’re prepared for everything on your big moving day – have a safe and easy move!