20 Oct When is the Best Time to Move?
Moving is a big task that can be stressful any time of the year. But did you know that certain times are better than others? If you have a flexible schedule and you want to avoid the peak busy times for moving companies, you can save yourself some money. You need to keep a few factors in mind if you plan to move during off-peak times.
In this article, we’ll go through the times of year and times of month that you should consider if you want to lower your moving costs, along with several other factors to look at before you lock down your dates.
How to choose an off-peak moving time to save money
Follow these tips to save money and reduce your stress when booking your move.
- Be as flexible as possible – When you’re choosing your moving day, the more flexible you can be the better. That way you can avoid the busiest times of the week, month, and year, saving you a lot of money.
- Consider moving during the spring or fall – The spring and fall months tend to be less busy for movers, which means that they are more likely to offer you a lower rate. Moving companies are often at their busiest from June through to September.
- Move at the beginning of the month – Moving companies tend to be booked up during the middle and end of the month. If you can arrange your move for the first week, you’re more likely to save on costs.
- Move mid-week – Everyone wants to move on the weekends, so if you can move during the week, you’ll likely get a better rate.
Other considerations for choosing your moving date
Think about the following considerations before you cement your moving date:
- Do you have children in school? If you have children currently enrolled in school, it may be easier for the whole family for you to schedule your move during their summer vacation. You could also select a holiday period. Although this will increase the price of your movers, it might be better for everyone in the long run.
- Are you moving for employment? If you are moving for work, it’s likely that you won’t have any say in the date of your move. Coordinate with your employer so that you can find the best option for both of your schedules.
- When can you move into your new home? Of course, you won’t be able to move into your new home until the previous tenants have moved out. You also need to consider when you need to vacate your old home. Don’t schedule your move until you’re sure of the date you can move into your new home.
How far in advance should you schedule your move?
You should book your movers as far in advance as possible, which will help you get the best rate. Once you compile a list of the top three moving companies in your area, call each of them and book in an in-home estimate. Choose the company that you think is best for your needs.
Coordinate with the company and be sure that you have your final moving date cemented before you finalize the booking. Of course, last-minute situations do occur, but if possible, book in your finalized moving date at least six weeks in advance. This will save you a lot of money, stress, and unnecessary panic if your ideal moving date is booked up or not available.
Save yourself some stress – and money
Again, just remember that moving companies up their rates during the busier periods. That means that if you choose to move during any of the more desirable times, such as summer, holidays, or weekends, you can expect to pay a premium.
If you can be flexible with your timings, you can save a lot of money. If at all possible, consider choosing a mid-week date at the beginning of the month, ideally during the spring or fall.
So, now that you understand the best time to move, your next step is to start calling reputable companies and scheduling your in-home estimates. It’s never too early to get prepared for your upcoming move!